Sunday, February 23, 2014

Never Give Up


I've been rowing a lot lately, sitting on the rower is a mental game for me.  Some how all this rowing is not only making me a more conditioned athlete, but it's transferring to my mental game.  On Friday am, I had 250m intervals.  Prior to my new rowing adventure, I thought 250's were the best!  Short and sweet.  Well, 250m has changed me.  The intervals were on a short rest, rest was long enough though so I could recover and keep pace.  Learning to have a quick start is a challenge for me, going from zero to my avg. 500m pace is hard for me.  I'm getting it though, I'm learning you can't ever give up.  

"Half way through the 250 it was looking like I couldn't get the pace I wanted, last 75m I wasn't sure.  I kept driving hard, all the way till the last meter.  I was able to keep pace." 

Rowing is teaching me to never give up, it's teaching me that you have to give everything you've got till the very end.  Sometimes training gets hectic, doesn't end up going the way you wanted, life gets cloudy and you question what are you doing?  I'm never going to give up and stop believing in my dreams. 

Training:

I did about an hour of strength work, a 20 minute EMOM, 3 Mini Met-Cons and Accessory work.  All in one training session. 

Last Met-Con:  "50 Burpee-to-target"

Burpees aren't my favorite movement, I would say they are a bit of a mental challenge, but also a cardiovascular challenge.  My last met-con was 50 Burpee-to-target, this was after two met-cons with 5 minutes rest in between.  Normally, in a series of met-cons like this I would fade out, be tired and have nothing left really to give.  The way I always treat these series of met-cons blended together is from the beginning give it everything I have.  Destroy myself from the first WOD.  Doing this, forces me to recover and deal with what I have left to give.  It's proven to help me.  My game plan going into the burpees was attack the first 25 at a moderate pace, once I got to 25 pick up the pace and when I had 15 left, all out.  I did just that.  The music wasn't loud, which was actually nice.  I could hear myself breathing like I do when I'm rowing.  I viewed the burpees as about 750m on the rower, a distance I know I can push hard. This was the first time...that I've felt my endurance training paying off!  I could feel a direct transfer from my rowing to my met-con.  I was and still am SO excited.   

No comments:

Post a Comment