Wednesday, January 29, 2014

East Coast Championships - Recap


First WOD, two minute time cap.  This would be no problem if I was healthy.  To try to explain how my body/mind felt, I'm not sure I can.  I knew how I could move healthy, but I didn't know how I could move injured.  I train 5 X a week, 3-5 Hours a day, I know what my body is like and how it reacts to not enough sleep or nutrition, but I had no idea how I would respond and move on a sprained ankle.  I told my judge I would limp, but I was ok.  She looked at me funny.  The start horn went off and I was sprinting, or to the best of my ability.  On my second rope climb I had to reset, the ropes were really slippery.  I ended up making the time cap.  60 seconds rest and onto the next WOD.  The adrenaline rush of actually making the time cap made my heart race so hard.  


I did the best I could to get my hear rate down and control my breathing in the 60 seconds.  It wasn't working, my heart rate was so jacked from making the cut off I had a trouble getting it back down.  I surprised myself.  I can't practice handstand walks a lot because of my wrists, I have two carpal bosses (one on each wrist) and when I practice them it really aggravates my wrists.  I'm ok at handstand walking, but definitely need to practice more when I'm breathing heavily.  The power cleans were the hardest part of this WOD, I could jump or drive really through my left leg, so the #133 was all on my right leg.  All I could feel was my right leg burning and some discomfort in my ankle. I pushed through the best I could, but it wasn't what I could normally do.  My TTB were good, it was hard to jump to the bar.  The bars were high and they didn't provide any blocks to climb up.  The last part, Over Head Squats.  In practiced I had snatched this OH, today my goal was to do the same.  I broke it into two sets 5/10.  I missed my second snatch and panicked.  The crowd was literally right in front of me, in general I don't like lifting when someone is in my view.  I just find that I loose focus, something I need to work on.  I finished the WOD in the time cap. 


I was sitting on the rower and they changed the heat time, I guess I would warm up on the C2B.  This definitely played into my mind set, but I needed to stay focused.  My goal here was C2B needed to be unbroken and my back squats needed to be fast, it wasn't a heavy back squat for me.  The difficult part would be the burpee-over-the-box and moving the bar laterally.  I did it, got all my C2B unbroken and was fast on the back squats.  It was specified in the athlete briefing that the standards for the lateral burpee box jump needed to be a two foot take off.  I later found out that numerous girls in the heat after me were doing a step-up-and-over, this would have been 1) Considerably less painful for me 2) I would have been 30's faster.  It's frustrating, but sometimes these things happen in competition.   The way they had the boxes aligned, some lanes had a mat in their way and you had to face a certain way.  That of course happened to be me,  so every time I went down for a burpee I had to make sure my feet were above the mat.  Just another obstacle.

  
I made the top 24 cut off.  I knew this WOD would be difficult, but didn't realize how hard it would be with a sprained ankle.  The 30 Wall Balls would have been no problem if I was healthy, but I didn't realize how much just jumping through only one leg would gas me.  I got around 7 or so no reps for the Wall Balls, simply because I couldn't get it high enough.  I went off to the Snatches and again could only drive through one leg.  This driving through one leg thing was getting old.  The lunges were next, now I couldn't alternate lunges because of my ankle.  This was allowed, just again a lot on one leg.  I finished the WOD barely in the time cap.  After this WOD, my ankle was really swollen.  It was swelling up and over the tape.  I found this PT named Drew, he took really good care of me all weekend!

            
    "Drew"

I had a lot of people ask me, "Why are you competing?"  After a while it got annoying.  Why wouldn't I compete?  If I couldn't do any more damage, why would I not try to compete?  I knew it would make make me a stronger athlete. I learned more from this competition than I have any other.  It was an "out of mind, out of body" experience.  There were many times when I knew I should have been able to go, but I couldn't.  I learned a lot about myself as an athlete, both mentally and physically.  



No comments:

Post a Comment